Monday, January 30, 2012

Heat, Heart, and Art

Spring Bursts Through ©Ivia Sky Yavelow, 2012 



Today's post is about the combination of the words, "heat", "heart" and "art", or shall I write it as he[a(r)t] ?  That's a real nesting doll of words!   

Heat was on my mind today because the house lost heat last night due to a broken power line connection up at the street and it was COLD waking up this morning.  The ferocious winds have calmed down though, and all is well again in the house thanks to people who make their living in useful trades.  I am extra-appreciative of the warmth inside now and of their work. Heart was also on my mind today because I was going to post this follow-up with images of the completed hearts that my daughter and I painted for the Trenton fundraiser I wrote about in my last post. 

The letter "r" makes "heat" into "heart" and while "heat" contains the word "eat", "heart" contains the word "art".  This takes on additional meaning in the current context of my life, because my daughter is about to commit herself to an art major in college and we have been discussing the merits (and demerits) of paths chosen.  The appeal of being able to eat vs. being able to follow a passion, art.  Do you see?  This covers the nesting word HE[A(R)T].   

Below is my heart, Love That River! ©Joy Kreves, 2012

I'm not finished deeply appreciating people who have down-to-earth useful, put-the-food-on-the-table skills, but we do still have to hand it to artists for taking life beyond purely comfortable existence and into other realms such as the realm of passion or the realm of the sublime, or even the realm of psychic discomfort.  The arts light our hearts so we don't just exist with enough heat, but we are warmed with the exciting fire of acute awareness of these other realms.   

"Hear", also nested in that clump, might be a call to attention.  Economic woes are befalling Americans at an alarming rate and the arts are being cut all over the country, but I'm going to try to hear, to listen for what tidbits arise to increase my understanding of the richly complex relationship between desire and need, between passion and necessity.  It's a lot to sort out!


H[ea(r)t].  What do these nesting words mean to you?






















































































1 comment:

  1. What a fun play with words, Joy! It warms my English-teacher heart...with art!

    ReplyDelete

Followers